Early years children are naturally curious, interested and devote their attention to what’s in hand – in other words, they’re naturally mindful! We want to help you to plant and nurture those seeds to grow calm children and happy families.
Thousands of scientific papers have been written on the benefits of mindfulness, meditation and movement: we know that practising these ancient traditions can help us as we navigate the stresses of our modern world.
But what about our littlest ones? Well, research shows specially adapted simple, fun meditation-based exercises can help develop their focus, attention, calm and kindness. Parents using Wee Seeds exercises also reported better bedtime routines for their kids, and easier sleep.
So, as they grow and face life-stresses, friends, transitions, big emotions - let’s plant and nurture the seeds of self-care, positive mental health, emotional literacy and inner strength. It’s up to us to help them create lifelong habits to help them at home, through nursery and school…and into adult life.
We want to help parents grow happy family connections and help professionals create calm learning spaces – it just takes a few minutes each day. Work your way through our new toolbox of mindfulness seeds from start to finish – then choose the ones that work best for you and keep doing them daily.
Wee Seeds is brought to you by its founder Christina Cran and her son Fin. This pilot version has come to life with the help of a lot of great people. Our thanks go out to:
- Our amazing designer Emma Chapman
- Award-winning digital agency Primate
- Lorna Walker, Wellbeing Specialist and Founder of Compassionate System, former Creative Director of Youth Mindfulness, who gave us her ‘Cosy Toes, Cosy Heart’ and ‘Dandelion Puff’ meditations.
- Voice artist Matthew Dudley, the voice behind ‘Weather Yoga’
- Pre-school yoga teacher Rhona Bythell, who designed the yoga exercises
- And, 7-year-olds Fin and Jocelyn who voiced ‘Bug Yoga’ & ‘Heart to Heart’.
Wee Seeds has received backing from:
- The Melting Pot’s Good Ideas Academy
- Scottish Enterprise
- Business Gateway
- Edinburgh Napier University
- The University of Edinburgh’s Mastercard Foundation Programme
- UXL Ltd
- Our amazing 123 crowdfunders
- Students Zoë, Sydney and Louise
We must also mindfully note the support of Dr Vee Freir, Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Co-ordinator for the NHS Mindfulness Project, for believing in Wee Seeds when it was literally just a little seed: she gave us the belief to grow.